[Wolves] tv card

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 20:12:03 GMT 2003

Hi David

I am new to Wolves LUG. In fact I still haven't managed to get Linux on my pc. I am hoping that Xmas presents will be cash so I can upgrade my pc and install Linux. I did try the SuSe Live CD that came with Linux Format and I am impressed with it. So soon it will be goodbye MS.

Anyway, back to your TV card. I know a little bit about PCs and electronics, you might say a hobby, and I had to do the same for a client recently though on Win XP, so I'll try and help you. If it is just BBC channels that your are not getting then it is an aerial and signal issue, if it is the same with all the others then try the following:

1. make sure the card is slotted in the furthest PCI slot from the graphics card this will also make sure it is away from the PSU.
2. make sure it is away from any cooling fans-step 1 usually does this but if your case is moded there might be a fan close by
3. Make sure the drivers are the most up to date

Let me know how you get on before we try other things connected with your aerial and signal

Regards

Mo

david <nux at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
Hiya All

Have just installed a tv card and am having serious woes trying to get a
result out of it.
The problem is the reception.
A standard tv top antenna wont find any stations at all.
Thinking that the house antenna (standard roof space mounted) would
solve it i plugged that in but only managed to get liney crap pictures
and no sound. (we have just got the free view box and cannot get bbc1/2
without chronic blocky pictures, drop outs and scrambled images, all
other stations are 100% fine) Antenna in roof may be misaligned????
One site i found on the net suggested an indoor tv antenna with signal
booster.
Any one got any experience in this area???

cheers

nux