Welcome mo (was Re: [Wolves] tv card)

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Fri Dec 12 06:53:25 GMT 2003

Mo Awkati spoo'd forth:
> I am not sure to be honest. I will most certainly do my best to
> attend the normal meetings where I can. you will all have to be gentle
> with me because I still have not figured out how to work around Linux's
> insides.

That's really not a problem, don't worry. David and Kat (Cat?), who
came to their first meet on Wednesday, will tell you that we're not an
amazingly highbrow group who expect you to be a techie wizard or
anything[1] :)

> I borrowed a book from the library about programming Linux,
> and I am also trying to learn C++ so I could use KDevelop. I do have a
> question though, does Qt come with KDevelop or do I have to buy it?

Jono's answer covers this well; there's very little indeed on Linux
that costs money, and KDevelop is no exception.

> From what I have seen Qt is quite expensive, is there an open source
> there an alternative for creating applications for Linux on similar
> lines to VB 6?

KDevelop is a reasonable Integrated Development Environment for Linux,
as long as you work in C++. Myself, I work with Python and Gtk/Glade
(Python is a programming language, like Visual Basic; Glade is a forms
designer, like the bit of VB in which you design the windows; Gtk is a
"widget set", which defines what windows are allowed to look like.
Windows(TM) only has one widget set -- all windows look the same. Linux
has more than one, and you can choose between them.) However, I don't
use an IDE. I've heard good things about Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) in
this regard, though, so it might be worth investigating.

And: welcome to the LUG! Hope to see you next week.

Aq.

[1] although ironically after they left at the last meeting we had a
big argument about the kernel!

--
Don't panic (even if your terminals start printing "all your dialup
accounts are belong to us" repeatedly)