Welcome mo (was Re: [Wolves] tv card)

Jono Bacon jonobacon at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 13:24:30 GMT 2003

Heya,

> Yeah, you missed a fight between me and Jono where
> he has all these
> naive ideas and I tried to explain that they
> wouldn't work, but he
> wouldn't listen. :)
>
> He might see this differently :)

I bet when you saw that I had replied to this thread
you groaned Aq. :) OK here is the truth...

We were basically discussing the problem that you
cannot whack a driver disk into a Linux box to install
a  driver for some hardware. I had an idea that the
kernel should have a mechanism where source code can
be stored on the driver disk which will check what
features are enabled in the kernel, and it will first
enable those features automatically and then compile
the code and enable it. This suggestion got around
some issue with binary drivers. Aq did not like this
as it causes problems with some devices such as PDA's
that Linux runs on. I then had an idea that you could
have stock cross platform linux code and then extras
that bolt on to support this kind of feature (similar
to the current system but some more platform specific
extras - even though this feature would basically work
on any platform that can compile the source code on
the system).

Aq did not see it this way as he was basically wrong
and had an invisible beard. Nevermind. :)

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician