[Wolves] Programming

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 18:43:53 GMT 2003

Hi Folk

Before I go and spend my hard earned money at Waterstones on a book to read over Xmas, I could with some advice please.

I want to start learning to programme under Linux. They way I understand it is that if I want to programme Linux itself so that it runs tasks, then  I need to know C? I got a book out of the library called Programming Linux in 24 Hours (in my case 12 months) by SAMS. This particular book uses Red Hat. From my very little knowledge it uses gcc. Is this a Gentoo thing? Do I need to look for another book if I use KDE as I will probably migrate to SUSE?

I think I am clear that if I want to creat applications that will run under Linux I can use KDevelop and Qt.For this I will need to learn to programme with C++.

Top save myself the headache, I know that C and C++ are related but there are differences, do I need to learn both C and C++?

Your help is much appreciated

Mo