[Wolves] Programming

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 15:34:06 GMT 2003

Hi Jono & Trog

Trog, I am sorry but you have lost me, I am not that advanced yet!
Jono thanks for the offer, unfortunately I am unable to be there  Wednesday because of prior arrangement, I joined the LUG a bit late to alter things. But rest assured that I am definitly a Linux fan and will do my level best to come to future meetings!!

I will have a go at C++ as it seems pretty close to what I know so my learning curve is not too steep. And from what you say Qt and kDevelop will satisfy my coding curiosity and interest.

As far as working with Linux command line what sort of skills do I need to learn?

Mo

Jono Bacon <jonobacon at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Mo,

If you want to write C++ apps, you will need to use a
C++ compiler (g++ from the gcc suite) and you will
probably want to learn some build tools such as
automake and autoconf - these tools manage which
source code files are built in which order by the
compiler and are used by most open source projects.

In terms of actually coding, usually you will edit
your source code files and then use the compile to
convert this file into a runnable program. When you
use lots of source files you usually use the compiler
to convert each file into what is called 'object code
(a .o file) and then these object code files are stuck
together by a tool called a linker to form your final
program.

If you use KDevelop, much of this underlying process
is hidden from you. KDevelop will let you create a new
project and compile it and then edit the code it has
generated. It is certainly a helpful tool and works
very well.

If you can make it down to the LUG meet on wednesday
we can discuss it face to face in more detail - I will
also be bringing my laptop, so I can show you some Qt
stuff.

Jono

=====