[Wolves] Programming

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 19:26:20 GMT 2003

Hi

After some thinking over the last couple of days I have decided that for the following reasons I will learn C++ but I will also familiarise myself with Python :

1. I want to create everyday applications using Qt and KDevelop to help ordinary people enjoy Linux in much the same way if not better than  MS Windows.
2.There is indeed a PyQt so if I am already familiar with Qt things will be a bit easier
3. The languages are very well supported generally and there is some good knowledge in the Wolves LUG
4. Both languages have their strengths and weaknesses. I will exploit their strengths!! i.e. I will use whichever solves a particular problem best
5. In time I will know where my strengths and weaknesses and my inclinations are in relation to both languages
6. I learn best what I am most comfortable with

Thanks for helping me. You realise I will be asking loads of questions!!!

PS: when is the first meet after the Xmas and New Year?

Mo

Aquarius <aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org> wrote:
Jono Bacon spoo'd forth:
> HEya,
>
> Something to bear in mind is that Mo wants to do
> Qt/KDE stuff. I don't know the state of Python
> bindings for either. That is why I mainly suggested
> C++.

Ah, PyQt is great. I must confess I don't know much about PyKDE, but it
certainly exists and is maintained. Also (and hopefully without causing
too much offence to Mo) it seemed to me like the choice of "writing KDE
stuff" was mainly influenced by only *knowing* about KDE; a little more
exposure to Gtk or whatever might influence Mo in that direction a bit,
perhaps.

Aq.

--
I would not bet against the existence of time machines; my opponent
may have seen the future and know the answer.