[Wolves] Python (Qt and/or Web App Development?)

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Thu Dec 18 20:54:10 GMT 2003

Katherine Goodwin spoo'd forth:
> Dear All,
>
> as we appear to have some python people in the group, and I am supposed
> to be learning it, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations
> about the following:
>
> 1.  Good books.  I prefer reference type stuff so I'll probably go for
> Python in a nutshell for one, but I could probably do with something to
> get me started too - I prefer books to online tutorials if I can afford
> them!

I'll be honest, I can't help you with books, 'cos I don't use them
much, and I'm not up to date with what's good and what isn't. The
comp.lang.python people will almost certainly have some good
recommendations, though.

> 2. Tools/resources/tutorials etc for developing web apps in python.
> mostly for personal interest

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming has a list of
many Python-based web frameworks. You might also want to keep an eye on
the newly set up Web SIG (http://www.python.org/sigs/web-sig/) which is
attempting to rationalise Python's ties to the web and decide what
should go into the standard library.

> 3. PyQt tutorials etc
>
> I know there are plenty out there, but that doesn't mean they are any
> good :-)

Hm, don't know *too* much about this; while I'm aware that PyQt exists
and is fine, I use Gtk most of the time myself...

Aq.

--
;; It appears that /dev/null is a conforming XSL processor.