[Wolves] Fedora?

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Thu Dec 18 21:53:59 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 11:36, Matthew Revell wrote:
> I know that there is a version for download but it's for network/ftp
> install, like you say. I can't be bothered with that gubbins, so I may buy
> the retail box. I wanna support a Linux company, with my few quid :)
>
> I'll have a look at that WhiteBox but I reckon it's probably aimed
> slightly differently to what I'm after.
>
> David Goodwin said:
> > On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 10:39, Matthew Revell wrote:
> >> Cool, cheers. I'm not sure what the situation is with them, except that
> >> the download version doesn't have some proprietary software that's on
> >> the
> >> paid for version.
> >
> > I don't think SuSE9 is available for download yet (not @ suse.com
> > anyway, where I think you can only get a network install version). I
> > suspect that it contains direct copies of a pack someone has bought, but
> > I may be wrong.
> >
> > Changing subject, I discovered whiteboxlinux yesterday, which does
> > appear to be a great thing - RedHat Advanced Server 3.0 rebadged and
> > free :) (like how Mandrake started off from RedHat)
> >
> > http://www.whiteboxlinux.org
> >
> > (I think a recursive awk on s/RedHat Trademarked things/something/g has
> > taken place).
> >

> > David.
> > --
> > Technical Consultant
> > Open Minds High Availability Solutions
> > w : http://openminds.co.uk
> > e : david.goodwin at openminds.co.uk
> > t : +44 (0)121 313 3947 f : +44 (0)121 313 3944

Well, (using the professional version) its a bit different to 8.2, there
is muchmore support for various services (dns, dhcp, etc.) in yast2,
slightly less multimedia support out of the box as mplayer has gone,
kaffine & xine for mpegs etc, but no decss support.  kernel 2.4.21 is
standard. Generally very good (must remember to download mplayer)

The ftp version on the SuSE site (and mirrors) is a little different as
it will only install via a bootable CD (down load the image) which then
installs from the ftp site (SuSE recommend you mirror the relevent part
of the site to a local ftp server)

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk