[Wolves] joining in the first email fun

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 08:45:04 GMT 2003

> Well seems everyone seems to be sending in there first
> email on Linux i thought i should too. So i got myself
> a cheap external serial modem for my laptop today(well
> yesterday if you count that its like 2am when i'm
> sending this) as it had a icky winmodem in it. Now my
> laptop is kinda dual booting Slackware 9.1 because i'm
> using a boot floppy. This is because i'm kinda scared
> to mess about with getting a boot loader working as i
> don't want to mess up my MBR. But other then that
> there is nothing really big up with it apart from
> needing to get stuff like the battery monitor to work
> and the sound working. So here it is my first email
> from Linux hehe...

I wouldnt worry about messing up the mbr... just make sure you have a dos
boot floppy handy, as it will contain windows fdisk, which can nuke an mbr
and fix any problem easily (fdisk /mbr)

As you're using Slackware, try about xfce as a window manager, I've just
started playing with it and it appears to be pretty good. (perhaps better
than gnome).

> I hope to make it to a meeting soon but have not been
> able to due to work...so see you all around some time maybe...

The next one is on the 7th, if I remember correctly.

David.

--

http://codepoets.co.uk/david