[Wolves] defrag

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 14:19:45 GMT 2003

> By the sound of it I will not be needing half the number of tools that I
> am used to using under Windows.

if fsck runs on bootup it will normally tell you how defragmented a volume
is (X% non-contigious). You will probably find that fsck will run every 30
days or something (or never if you use reiserfs?). You can change this
with tune2fs.
hdparm is another tool, which can tell you whether you're using udma etc,
nad can turn it on if required.

There is certainly more choice with linux for filesystems, with xfs,
reiserfs, ext2, ext3, jfs and others to pick from. My favourite is
reiserfs, as it seems to be very quick (I think it uses a bit more cpu
time to omptimise the disk better... and as disks are slow and cpus are
quick it's not a problem)... although I've heard rumours about data loss
with it, I've never had any problems.

My spelling is lousey, and i need a new little keyboard... has anyone seen
any around ? (this keyboard is about the same size as a laptops.. I use it
for my server to save desk space)..

David.

--

http://codepoets.co.uk/david