[Wolves] defrag

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 16:30:28 GMT 2003

> Hi David
>
> There is more choice from what you say but I am not familiar with the
> terms yet except ext2 which I know now because I just had a go at
> formating a floppy using KDE (using the live cd). How do I "KILL" a still
> busy floppy? because after I completed the formatting the floppy drive
> just stayed busy and everytime I tried to access it I got not accessible
> or error messages. I know I need to use the 'kill' command but  I am not
> sure how, does this sound right
>
> /bin/kill -a     //then I am not sure what else to add after the -a ???

Try something like :

lsof | grep floppy

or

lsof | grep fd0

that should list any processes accessing the floppy disk. From the pid
given you can then attempt to kill them. (man lsof may give more help than
me).

Firstly try a normal "kill" e.g.

kill 543

if that fails to kill it off after a few seconds, try a

kill -9 543

(543 == pid)

if that doesn't work then something is blocking it.... and the only way to
stop it is probably a reboot, if you can't figure out what's going on.

floppys are probably best formatted with msdos/fat, so you can use them on
any computer.

ext3 is like ext2, but has journalling - this allows for quicker recovery
after a crash etc...

David.

--

http://codepoets.co.uk/david