[Wolves] FW: Netwoking linux to router

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Tue Dec 23 17:20:38 GMT 2003

Steve Ruffles spoo'd forth:
> Can I ask a techie question?
> Have home network (windows)connects through Netgear broadband
> router/modem/wifi thing to internet. Has lan ports and I'd like to stick my
> Redhat 8.1 machine onto router - not sure where to start. Still at stage
> where I can only see these things as a windows user. Can anyone help please?

Bear with me: your Windows machine plugs directly into the router, yes?
And you want to also plug your RedHat box directly into the router?

If so, then you need to plug it in, and then tell it that its default
gateway is the router, and That Should Be It. RedHat people, how do you
configure a default gateway? Debian does it in
/etc/network/interfaces.

Alternatively, the router thing might be a DHCP server. If that's the
case, then you may not need to do *anything*. Have you tried just
plugging your RedHat box into the router and turning it on and seeing
if it can see the internet? If it can, then that's great; no work for
you at all. Give that a try first before fiddling with the
configuration...

Aq.

--
Something must be Done