[Wolves] The LUGMaster christmas message

Jono Bacon jonobacon at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 25 00:52:15 GMT 2003

People of the LUG kingdom,

When I set the LUG up many moons ago, I wanted to
create a place where people who were like minded could
meet and discuss Linux. Not only did I want this place
to be a technical resource for people, but I wanted it
to be a place where friendships could be fostered. In
addition to these requirements, I really wanted to
create a social and fun LUG that people could come to
without the kind of formality that is typically
associated with geeky computer groups.

2003 has proved to be another year where the LUG has
continued to meet all of these aims. This LUG is
different from most LUGs and I think this is purely
down to the people and the social ethics in place. I
have been to a few LUGs in my time, and although
staffed by very cool and nice people, there is
something different that is within Wolves LUG -
something that can only be created by the people who
go to it. Sure, we have had people come along and
leave, and we have had people who do not feel as
comfortable at our LUG as they would in a more formal
setting, but what I am pleased with however is that we
have continued to develop an atmosphere that brings
out the social side of what is in essance social
software. All of this comes with the pride of complete
equality to gender, ethnicity and technical experience
- we have members in our group from both genders,
different ethnic backgrounds and varied experience
levels.

I cannot express to you all how pleased I am with the
state of our LUG. Sure, we don't do many projects, we
visit the Pie Factory once a year and we tell foul
jokes, but I would not wish to change the LUG in any
way.

It is just Chrismas Day as I write this and I am off
to bed. I would like to make a toast to not only Linux
and the freedom it gives us, but to Wolves LUG and the
good friends I have made with it. Have a great
christmas and may 2004 be another great year for
Wolves LUG!!

Happy christmas,

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician