[Wolves] Linux software RAID ?

Dan Jones dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Sun Dec 28 13:08:09 GMT 2003

Ron Wellsted wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 16:28, Ade wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>I was wondering, how easy is it to setup software RAID ?
>>Would I be able to put my OS on say two disks setup as RAID 0? Or can
>>the OS not live on a software RAID partition?
>>
>>Cheers
> Hi Ade,
>
> The OS can only reside on a software RAID1 partition. This works as both
> disks contain an identical copy of the partition either of which can be
> used by the boot loader. The full software RAID support is not available
> until the kernel and the relevant modules have been loaded.

'ang on a minute....

Maybe I'm being thick (a distinct possibility :) ) but I thought you
could put /boot in a diddy little partition containing an initrd or
somesuch and have the rest as software RAID0 (since the modules and
whatnot could be loaded as the initial ramdisk)?

Or maybe I am tripping, or complicating things.

--
Dan