[Wolves] Linux software RAID ?

Ade binaryboy at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 16:44:06 GMT 2003

>>>Hi Ade,
>>>
>>>The OS can only reside on a software RAID1 partition. This works as both
>>>disks contain an identical copy of the partition either of which can be
>>>used by the boot loader. The full software RAID support is not available
>>>until the kernel and the relevant modules have been loaded.
>>>

>>'ang on a minute....
>>
>>Maybe I'm being thick (a distinct possibility :) ) but I thought you
>>could put /boot in a diddy little partition containing an initrd or
>>somesuch and have the rest as software RAID0 (since the modules and
>>whatnot could be loaded as the initial ramdisk)?
>>
>>Or maybe I am tripping, or complicating things.
>>

>You CAN do this but it really complicates the disk partitioning and the
>slightest slip up in a kernel upgrade can result in an unbootable system
>(unless you have a boot floppy with the right kernel & modules).

My system at the moment has /boot as a 100meg partition and everthing
else (including /home) is in another.  So this would work ok then??

My next question is how would you install the OS with this configuration
- Im used to a nice GUI when installing and I dont seem to remeber it
being an option in the disk portion part of the setup (but I could be
wrong).

Thanks

Ade  (getting very tempted to try this)