[Wolves] Linux software RAID ?

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 19:07:20 GMT 2003

nd the relevant modules have been loaded.

> 'ang on a minute....
>
> Maybe I'm being thick (a distinct possibility :) ) but I thought you
> could put /boot in a diddy little partition containing an initrd or
> somesuch and have the rest as software RAID0 (since the modules and
> whatnot could be loaded as the initial ramdisk)?

indeed, this is how redhat/suse work... which allows them to compile
everything under the sun as a module, and support nearly all hardware.
Were they to compile everything into the kernel. the kernel would likely
become too large to boot from.

There is some sort of throw back to the distant past where crap pc's
required the kernel to be under block 1024 on the disk, hence making a
small (10mb?) /boot partition was required if you had a large di[cs]k....
this no longer seems to be the case anyway, and i've not come across a pc
like this in the last 4-5 years.

David.

--

http://codepoets.co.uk/david