[Wolves] Linux software RAID ?

Ade binaryboy at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 16:20:34 GMT 2003

David Goodwin wrote:

>>>My next question is how would you install the OS with this
>>>configuration - Im used to a nice GUI when installing and I dont seem
>>>to remeber it being an option in the disk portion part of the setup
>>>(but I could be wrong).
>>>

>>Scrub that, Ive just checked to see if there is an option to specify
>>software RAID at the install time (via the GUI) - and there is !! Ive
>>just gone through the motions in a VMWARE session.
>>
>>Im gonna have to try it out. I will let you know how I get on.
>>

>SuSE (and perhaps RedHat?) allow you to create RAID partitions during
>setup. I've never done it yet though. LVM is another thing I should play
>with soon perhaps.
>
>David.

Well Ive now installed Fedora Core 1 in a software raid configuration.
(100 meg boot and then a 30 gig partition split over two hard disks,
plus a swap part).

I have to say, it was MUCH easier than I expected. Did I get a massive
speed increase? Well maybe not massive but certainly noticable.

Which are the built in tools for checking disk performance by the way ??

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my original question.

Ade