[Wolves] Linux in education...

MarkEllse@btinternet.com wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 8 20:47:01 2003

Not so easy. There are so many differences, mostly small, but may
significant, but awquard. For instance, in OpenOffice, if you put November
2003 in a table, it automatically converts it to 01/11/03. That is because
Number Recognition is turned on by default. This is a very useful feature,
but I don't know it in MSWord, and it is a pig to find what is going on if
it happens to you.

OpenOffice comes with AutoComplete on as standard. Again, quite a pig to
find if you don't know what is going on.

I subscribe, and contribute, to the OpenOffice discussion group. It is a
good forum for making suggestions and at least some of them are taken up. In
the case of differences, there has just been agreement to put a specific
Help for MSOffice Users in the Help menu to ease transition.

Mark