[Wolves] Smoothwall

Machx 2 wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 12:56:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Jono Bacon <jonobacon@yahoo.com>
To: <wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 3:29 PM
Subject: [Wolves] Smoothwall

> Hi all,
>
> Speaking of smoothwall in my last post, I have a few
> questions:
>
> (these questions are related to the 1.0 release which
> is stable)
>
>  1. Smoothwall has an IDS with it. I assume this is a
> modified snort. Will smoothwall automatically update
> itself with the latest rules for the IDS?

There used to be regular patches for smoothwall, but i'm on GPL 1.0
final-p-0  and haven't had a update since I installed it.

>  2. Does smoothwall have an automatic updating system
> such as apt included so it remains up to date and
> secure?

See 1 , you press a refresh button and it lists updates.
You then have to browse to their website and download it to a client.
Then using client you upload it to the smoothwall and reboot.
A bit messy but works

>  3. Is setting up the firewall rules a difficult
> procedure to administer?

None to play with at all.

>  4. Is port forwarding included with smoothwall?

Yes, as well as which ports to allow thru.

Wayne