[Wolves] Quick wuftp problem

Aquarius wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 14 14:44:01 2003

Wayne Morris spoo'd forth:
> My brother tries from his XP machine using cuteftp and connects but gets
> 'unable to get a data socket'
>
> I have allowed port 21 thru my smoothwall firewall.
>
> Oh, maybe anserer my own question, do I need to allow/forward another
> channel thru the firewall for the data?

Yes, but you don't know which one; that's the beauty of FTP, it chooses
a high-numbered socket at random for the data connection. You have two
choices; either insist that all your clients use passive ftp (which
all clients should be able to do, and a lot will do by default) or have
a proxy ftp module on your firewall (ipchains can certainly do this,
but I don't know if there's an easily available Smoothwall thing to
make it happen).

Aq.

--
from string import *;import re,base64;w=base64.decodestring('YXF1YXJp'+
'dXNAa3J5b2dlbml4Lm9yZw==');u='['+lowercase+']';print re.sub(u,'-',w)