[Wolves] Upgrade to Linux at TLC

wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 15 12:46:01 2003

Hi again,

>That's really positive stuff - were they fairly taken with the idea straight away, or did
>it take some persuasion?

Well, they're in a position where I need to do a complete rebuild of all four servers and
nearly 40 clients anyway, and I pointed out that I could make their email server acually
function reliably without periodic reboots, plus I could implement print quotas for free.
Then it was pretty much a done deal. Plus the blokes I'm training up to run the system
are enthuseastic about using Linux, which is a big help.

I'm planning on using SuSE, as it's the mainstream distro I've used most (I run Gentoo
at home), and linking it in with Active Directory (I'm having to keep Win 2k on the
clients, and want to use AD to handle all of the software deployment using RIS and
group policies). I'm going to be using Postfix and Cyrus-IMAP for email, with Samba
for Windows connectivity and either CUPS/Pykota? or LPRng/Printbill for the print
quotas. I haven't extensively tested either of these combinations yet, and so haven't
made up my mind one way or the other. If anyone has experience with either of these
I'd be interested in talking to them.

There's quite a big opportunity for TLC to use Linux in a lot more of there work, I can
see several areas where it would solve some very big problems and I'll be raising this
with their Chief Exec, so I think this is only the start.

Dan