[Wolves] Apache and host and domain names

Wayne Morris wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 19:59:01 2003

Arrrgh, this is driving me mad, I thought I knew what the hell was going
on, but I don't, can someone explain in really small words please.

System - webserver running behind a smoothwall on a cable modem with ISP
hosted domain name ip forwarded to it. Web works ok.

Problem arises with choice of hostname and domain name for the
webserver. Unless I call the host something with a real outside world
domain name, mail is bounced (see q2) because it is from
apache@localhost so I have to have hostname as machx.co.uk so that mail
is sent as apache@machx.co.uk

If I use a external valid name as either hostname or domain name, mail
to root starts being either lost or sent to the external address sending
a mail to root@localhost now results in it being rooted externally to
root@machx.co.uk

Q2
How does apache send mail, for example the passwords  created by phpNuke
, it appears that apache talks directly to the mailserver receiving the
mail, I can see this from the returned messages when localhost is used.
I'm fine with this in principle, but how come my mail isp will not allow
me to use their smtp server (because I connect via a different ISP cable
connection), yet will accept mail from apache?

Cheers for any help!

--
Wayne Morris <wayne@machx.co.uk>