[Wolves] Problems with smoothwall adventures

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 24 13:59:14 2003

Hi all,

OK, I went shopping at a computer fair and brought
back a spanky machine to use as my web server, thus
relieving my battered machine for the firewall.

I created the boot floppies and managed to install
smoothwall fine, but I am experiencing some trouble
getting the machine on the net. Let me explain:

I had two cards in there - that are the same model.
Smoothwall says in the installation that you may need
to pass it extra parameters to get it working, but I
dont know what these parameters are. Anyone know?

Anyway, I started installation and it asked for me to
configure the GREEN card. I understand that this is
the card that plugs into the hub, so I probed and it
found it ok. I set it the IP of 192.168.0.1.

After installation I went to networking setup and
chose to use GREEN + RED. It probed for the RED card
and cha-ching it was there as the same driver. I then
configured it to use DHCP as the means of getting the
IP.

Anywho, I rebooted and when I am back on, I cant ping
a site. I did set the DNS nameservers to my telewest
ones, and I had no idea what to set the gateway to as
I didnt know what IP the RED card has.

What was strange was when I logged into the box and
did 'ifconfig', only eth0 came up with it's IP address
correctly assigned (the GREEN card), but eth1 was not
there, and when I did 'ifconfig eth1 up' it gave me an
error. A quick look at dmesg came up with some errors
indicating some kind of interuppt conflict. Both cards
are PCI so I thought this was a little unusual.

Anyway, I tried the setup with an old 3Com ISA card
which was detected fine but still would'nt come up
when it was the RED card, and I tried a couple of
other cards but they were not detected.

I have had the two same model cards working fine in
the box, but for some reason this isnt working, and it
seems that I cant choose which card is GREEN and which
is RED.

Any help would be great as I have one angry Susan
wanting this sorted out ASAP.

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://jono.dyndns.org/