[Wolves] Why do you hate/dislike Micro$oft?

steve parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 10 16:50:00 2003

>From: Aquarius <aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org>
>
>steve parkes spoo'd forth:
> > Lets not forget that the only intuitive interface known the humankind is
>the
> > nipple.  Developers should refrain from inserting human face like
>interfaces
> > to software and should have more nipples.
>
>Ah, you see, I'm going to disagree here, despite the fact that you're being
>facetious <grin>, by quoting from Neal Stephenson's 'Snow Crash'.
<snip>
At least you are quoting from a reconised academic text ;-)

>Human-face-like interfaces can be great, if they're done well. The key
>point
>here is unobtrusiveness; the perfect UI would work exactly as the user
>expects it to. If you ask them, "how would you perform task X on a
>computer?", that should be the way the UI does it.

The long term humanisation of the interface will surely be /a good thing/tm,
agreed, but in the short term the inconsistancies of an interface like the
paper clip by far outweigh the benefits to the majority of ppl.

>This is perhaps not an achieveable goal.
What, once I have finished openTeat I was gonna start work on the metaverse.

sparkes - off home to dig out Snow Crash to get the latest info on UI design
;-)