[Wolves] help needed for charity using linux

Old Dan wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 22:39:01 2003

Adam Sweet wrote:

> --- matt@understated.co.uk wrote: >
>

>>>Where are they?
>>>

>>Hull, Hull, glorious Hull.
>>

>>>Do you have any idea on   > what they're running
>>>

>>on >the server?
>>No and they're not sure themselves! That's one of
>>the things they need help with. They need someone to
>>come in and audit their system to tell them what
>>they have and what it does.
>>

>Firstly I don't have the skills to help here otherwise
>I'd think about it. But there something that strikes
>me immediately. It's in Hull. Which means there are 3
>solutions.
>
>1) Someone has to go up there. Difficult.
>2) Someone will have to phone/email them to tell them
>what to do to start an SSH server so that admin can be
>done remotely. Dicey game.

Yeah I was thinking maybe SSH earlier - actually that may not be all
that dicey - the server might well already be running sshd so I expect
all we'd need would be what it's IP was plus the root password...

If the previous person who looked after the server knew what he/she was
doing (and probably even if he/she didn't) I'd expect sshd to be there.
At least we'd be able to find out what services/modules are running and
what the hardware of the machine is.  That'd be a start, at least...

>3) There is a Hull LUG. www.hull.lug.org.uk Maybe they
>can help?
>
>Whatever the case don't let them go buy a Windows 2003
>server when they already have Linux. I guess this is
>where the FUD becomes audible, when your Linux person
>has gone and you don't know what to do.

Sounds to me like they need a replacement for this person, stat.

--
Dan