[Wolves] Couple of (redhat) problems

Christopher Walker wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jul 12 23:34:01 2003

James Turner wrote:

>>Because of this I decided to downgrade to (what #linuxhelp calls
>>"stoneage linux") 7.3 but it won't install.
>>

>Ah, Old Hat Linux 7.3, I remember it well...

I finally got 7.3 to work and now understand what is meant by "stonage"
even though its 18 months (or so) old. 7.3 is definitely more "quirky"
than 9, anyone any opinions of 8.x?

>>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:00
>>

>Sounds like a bug in the way the installer bootstraps the kernel, presumably
>caused by some sort of incompatibility with your hardware. You could try
>making a boot floppy (instructions on CD) rather than booting from the
>installation CD itself, try a different version, different distro or
>something???

Got it working at last, apparently the message above is related to
advanced power management. if its turned off in the bios, the install
process works as normal. still, I think I may en up re-upgrading anyhow
and trying to speed the darn thing up a bit.

cheers for the help  in the meantime,

-bob