[Wolves] help - think I've been hacked

wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 17:16:01 2003

Tools like this one *can* be helpful.

Unless I backdoored your kernel to redirect all dns traffic
to my dns server, and the "chkrootkit" you requested I send
back a picture of my monkey instead.

Just a thought.

To test a filesystem for monkey business with a tool like
this, you must boot from another (trusted) system and then
check the filesystem using the trusted tools and filesystem.
Much in the same way as you recover a naughty filesystem
from corruption (if it is sufficiently corrupted).

For this you would probably take out the hard-disk and put
it in another machine (that you trust). Boot from the
trusted disk and mount the disk you wish to check (assuming
the monkey hasn't found a way to corrupt from one system to
the next using the partition table of the drive - but you'd
probably already know about this were it true).

In short, you must spread the trust.

(Push out the jibes..... bring in the love........ push out
the jibes....... bring in the love - Mr. Burns)

Lets not get too deep and meaningful about trust. As I don't
trust any of you anyway, I'm just waiting for a time to kill
you all. If you trust that :-)

Tools like this one can be helpful, but to be honest - if
it's got to this stage then you needn't bother. Better just
re-install.

>From what I have seen (of your logs) it *hasn't* got this
far yet.

If you want a better assesment, then you could give me root
on your box and i'll do a full search and audit. But then,
you'd have to trust me first.

Anyway, you have to trust trust, or you won't get anywhere.

(Confused?)

bambam

--
Trust me, I'm a bambam.