[Wolves] Server security

Adam Sweet wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 12:11:01 2003

Hi all, I'm setting up a server (web/ftp/ssh and maybe
a few more things as time goes by) as a learning
exercise, but would like to do it as properly as
possible.

What I would like to know is where I should start
regarding security. It will be running Debian without
X, I assume stable would be best for a server rather
than testing and a 2.2 series kernel. It will be
behind a Smoothwall.

Should I set up the Smoothwall first or the server? I
assume that the server should be set up and secured
before attatching to the outside world.

What protective measures should I take before deeming
my server fit to face the crackers of the world?
Snort? Turning off services. Obviously I won't be
running telnetd. Any advice here would be greatly
appreciated as I know default installs are famously
insecure.

Thanks in advance,

Ad

=====