[Wolves] Wiki

s parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 2 12:20:00 2003

>From: fizzy <fizzyorguk@yahoo.com>
>To: wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk
>Subject: Re: [Wolves] Wiki
>Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:27:42 +0100 (BST)
>
> > Fair enough, that's a good point but still leaves
> > you with ugly "Edit"
> > buttons. Anyway, I don't think that this is an
> > argument I'm likely to
> > win. I do think, tho', it's important to see beyond
> > the politics of
> > software, from time to time.

//ugly edit button

or possibly more to your liking

/*
ugly edit button
redundant code
ugly edit button
*/

>As far as i can gather, a wiki is a piece of software
>that creates pages that other people can then edit, i
>think I've seen one used for an FAQ, correct me if I'm
>wrong.

you're not wrong no correction needed

>You want to use this software for another purpose,
>creating a style guide or whatever.
>
>Therefore you cannot complain about a lack of support
>for political reasons, because you are using it in a
>non standard way.
use the software you like the look of most, bend it to your own needs ( //
is your freind) and redistribute your changes to the community ;-)

Use Aq's security and you get rid of one of biggest problems for php (and
other scripts) the authors have not a feckin' clue about security.

>If you were saying i want to use this software to run
>evil-capitalist-pigs.com and they won't let me i can
>see your point, but you want to use there software in
>a weird way that they don't want to support i can see
>there point.

evil-capitalist-pigs.com can use any software created under an open source
licence thats what gives me (and other political members of the open source
movement) the moral high ground.  They can use our effort but we can't own
our own genes ;-)

>Utilise the GNU agreement and create your own piece of
>software to do what you want with a wiki as a base.

but be aware that you are bound by the licence of the software you choose to
use, evil-capitalist.com might what to use your software but so might
hitleryouth.org and anarchists-r-us.org.  you can not discriminate on moral
or political reasons.  This is why the open source movement is such a broad
church, we can not discriminate on fields of endevour for example.

>disclaimer - it made sense in my head!

Thats the kind of disclaimer automatically attached to anything I say ;-)

sparkes

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger