[Wolves] Looogradio

Matthew Revell wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 16:00:01 2003

Okeydoke. I know that I've said how great LugRadio *will* (not might) be
but I've done relatively little else. Well, the reason behind that is that
I'm desperately seeking work at the moment, which takes up most of my time.

>From a little research, it appears that we'd be the only UK LUG with a
radio programme and, according to a quick Google search, one of only two
LUGs worldwide that have a radio programme. The other LUG radio project I
came across is based in Melbourne, Florida and is a live cast of their LUG
meeting. Oh my word. I can't imagine that working for us :)

To restate my reasons for liking the LugRadio idea:

1. It'll be fun
2. It may help us to get exposure in the local media and so do a little for
Linux advocacy
3. It'll raise the LUG's profile in the Linux community
4. It'll help us gain or improve on skills
5. It *may* give someone, somewhere, something that they enjoy listening
to, even if it's only once and they're drunk.

I don't think I need to explain the first radio but I'm can already feel
the doubt burning into the back of my neck when it comes to the second.
I've been involved in a lot of voluntary arts style projects and one of
things I've learnt from them is that it's really very easy to pop up on
local radio, on the local news and in the local paper. All you have to do
is make the point of the story easy for the journo to grasp. They get
something to fill a column or two, we get some exposure. A novelty twist
may help but I doubt we need it. Oh, and my girlfriend's best mate is a
journalist for the E&S, so that helps :)

The third point - continuing from the second, it's even easier to get on
the front page of Newsforge.com and I reckon this project would also get
Slashdotted. Aq's "What the hell is Python" article on ContentPeople was
put on the Linux.com front page. That day, the visitors to the article
numbered over 1,100.

4 and 5 are self-explanatory.

I reckon a ten minute programme would be enough work for us and enough of a
listening commitment for the, er, listener. My proposed running order goes
like this:

00:00 - Intro jingle
00:10 - Introduction to the programme and run down of what's to come
00:40 - Current Linux and OSS etc. headlines
01:40 - Ident sting
01:45 - Round table chat about main stories
03:45 - Ident sting
03:50 - Piss take on the Free Software Song
05:00 - Halfway point round up of what's still to come
05:15 - Review of Revolution OS
06:15 - Ident sting
06:20 - The Linus and RMS show!
07:30 - Round table chat on topic of the week
09:45 - Wrap up and goodbye
10:00 - ENDS

That's by no means my suggestion for the actual content of the show but
more just how I think it could work.

As for the scripted v live question: the appropriate parts are scripted and
the other bits are recorded as live but, as Aq says, well researched so we
don't sound stupid or have dead air. If we're lucky, we'll have too much
material and have to cut stuff out.

Right, let's thrash it all out this evening :)