[Wolves] Software Problems with Girlfriend 1.0

Re-LoaD wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Mar 11 14:34:01 2003

Software Problems with Girlfriend 1.0

Can anyone help with this software problem?
Several months ago I upgraded to Girlfriend 1.0 from Drinking Mates 4.2,
which I'd used for years without any trouble. However, there are apparently
conflicts between these two products and the only solution for system
stability was to try to run Girlfriend 1.0 with the sound turned off.
To make matters worse, Girlfriend 1.0 is also incompatible with several
other of my favourite applications, such as Lads' Night Out 3.1, Football 2
and JazzMag 6.1. Successive versions of Girlfriend have proved no better. I
tried a temporary uninstall of all Girlfriend utilities to test the
capability (on the advice of a friend) of a popular shareware beta-program,
Party Girl 2.1 - which though highly functional, had many bugs and left a
virus in my system, forcing me to shut down completely for several weeks,
after seeking costly (and embarrassing) professional help. Eventually I
tried to run Girlfriend 1.2 and Girlfriend 1.0 at the same time, only to
discover terrifying system conflict when these two systems detected each
other, resulting in severe damage being caused to all my hardware. Sensing a
way out, I got an expensive diamondware patch to upgrade one of the
conflicting applications to Fiancee 1.0, only to discover that this product
has to be soon further upgraded to Wife 1.0. I did this largely because,
whilst Wife 1.0 uses up all available system resources, it does come bundled
with the awesome applications FreeSex Plus and Cleanhouse 2003.
However, I discovered that Wife 1.0 can be very unstable and costly to run.
For example, any mistakes I made were automatically stored in a hidden file
in Wife 1.0's memory and could not be deleted - they then re-surface months
later without any warning. Wife 1.0 also has an automatic Diary Explorer,
BeerNumber Calculator and E-mail porn filter, and can, without warning,
launch WhingeZip. Painterstrop Pro can also be a problem, but only about
every four weeks.
These latter products have no help files and require you to try and guess
the problem yourself. Additional costly problems are that the Wife 1.0
bundle, that came with the original system, needs updating and synching
regularly, requiring Shoe Shop Browser Pro for new attachments and Hairstyle
Express needs to be reinstalled every other week. It also conflicted with
some of the new games I wanted to try, stating that they are an illegal
operation. When Wife 1.0 attaches itself to my Nova program, it often
crashes or runs the system dry. Wife 1.0 also has a rather annoying
voice-prompt pop-up called Mother-in-Law, which can't be turned off.
Recently I've been tempted to try Mistress 2003, but there could be
problems, if Wife 1.0 detects the presence of Mistress 2003 it will delete
all MS Money files before automatically un-installing itself.
Any ideas?

thanks Re-