[Wolves] Bloke vs. Bloke: graphics engines: some initial thoughts

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 13:23:00 2003

--- Aquarius <aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org> wrote:
> s parkes spoo'd forth:
> >>especially not with scripting-language bindings.
> The major open-source
> >>engine is obviously CrystalSpace. CS appears to
> have Python bindings,
> >>and I have also seen Perl bindings mentioned, but
> these things are
> >>rampantly undocumented. The Nebula Engine uses
> Tcl/Tk (oof) as its
> >>scripting language. Ogre seems to have Python
> bindings. Everything else
> >>requires you to write in C.
> >>
> > Those are pretty heavy duty engines for a s-v-s
> clone ;-) Lets try and use
> > an SDL engine to make the windows port easier, lol
>
> SDl will give us graphics and sound, but we'd have
> to do all the work
> of writing the *game*. The plan with using an engine
> was that there
> would be structures in place specifically for game
> writing -- actor
> objects, collison detection, inventory, multiplayer
> network code, etc
> etc.

If I were you guys I would use OGRE. OGRE seems the
most capable game engine out there and although
written initially for Windows, I think the Linux port
is workable now. :D Stay away from CrystalSpace it
looks shite.

The other option is one that could be infinitely
easier and more enjoyable - use the Blender game
engine. Blender has a fully developed, scriptable (in
Python) game engine where you can knock out pretty
functional games in no time. The other great thing is
that there is a Blender web plugin to run Blender
created stuff in the browser (similar to a flash
plugin).

Some links that may be of interest:

http://www.blender.org/
http://www.blender3d.com/
http://www.blender3d.org/About/?sub=GalleryStandalones
http://www.blendergames.com/

Note: the new release of Blender (2.26) has disabled
the game engine while they work on it, but there are
still available older releases with the game engine
fully functional.

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://jono.dyndns.org/