Live CDs was: Re: [Wolves] Freegeek visit

wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 30 13:28:01 2003

If your friend likes first-person shooters and has an Nvidia graphics card, try the
Gentoo Live CD with the Unreal Tournament 2003 demo. Apart from anything else, it
shows how much less efficient Windows is, I can play UT2003 off the live CD, with
networking, sound, 3D accelerated graphics and no swap partition, where the
Windows demo is unusably slow and jerky on the same machine. (Athlon Thunderbird
1.3GHz, 256MB PC133, UDMA100 hard disks, GeForce2 MX400 64MB).

Other than that, Knoppix is cool for a general sampler of what's available in Linux
systems, though if you're short on RAM it can be a bit of a pain to get working
(especially if you're new to UNIX). I know SuSE have live evaluation CDs available,
though I've never used one. If anyone else has good recommendations, please let us
know, I'd like to try a few more of them out.

Dan Burrill

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger...