[Wolves] Linux woes

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 6 12:13:03 2003

--- Matthew Revell <matthew@understated.co.uk> wrote:
> Cheers for that. It told me that the package wasn't
> installed, so I then
> looked in the directory that it told me it _would_
> be installed in and
> it was there! Well, something was there, I couldn't
> find an executable
> file but I think that's down to the vagaries of
> Opera's installation.

I don't want to start a round of RPM bashing, but RPM
does tend to confuse things sometime.

As for your question about apt-get; a package for
Debian will add things to the menu's and set it up for
the Distro properly - in the same way it does it on an
RPM system...but better. ;)

If you are not confined to sticking with Red Hat, you
may want to investigate Mandrake as a distro until you
join the join the Debian club. ;)

Seriously though, this is a great opportunity to get
to know Linux really well. It will be scary, but feel
free to post questions to this list and use the IRC
channel for help. :D I wish most new Linux people got
chucked in the deep end like this...it really does
help you get to grips with the system.

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://jono.dyndns.org/