[Wolves] ircd (was: Wireless and Linux)

s parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 6 12:59:01 2003

>From: Jono Bacon <jonobacon@yahoo.com>
>To: wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk
>Subject: RE: [Wolves] ircd (was: Wireless and Linux)
>Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 04:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
>
>--- s parkes <stephenparkes1972@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > another one of those 'me too' posts we all hate so
> > much.  Peter's assersion
> > that it would be one more thing to worry about it
> > spot on.
>
>I disagree. It would only be work for the person who
>decides to maintain it. If fizzy for example wants to
>run one, then so be it...as a LUG member he should be
>able to use the LUG resources for that - but he would
>need to be the one responsible for maintaining it. No
>other LUG member would be required to maintain it in
>anyway.

the problem is not one of who maintains it but of the possible explotation
of the services it provides and/or explotation of other resources on the box
in question.

If someone wants to maintain ircd and has the ten or fifteen mins it would
require once in a blue moon then so be it but we have to think of the bigger
picture.  It wouldn't *really* provide vastly more than we already have for
next to zero maintainance with next to zero risk of all looking like
a**eholes should it go wrong.

why exactly do we need, not want, need to run an ircd?

sparkes

Get Hotmail on your mobile phone http://www.msn.co.uk/mobile