[Wolves] What can I run on this machine?

Matt Wright wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon May 12 07:22:01 2003

Hi,

I was running, for quite a long time, my internet connection off a 266Mhz
Cyrix with 128MB Ram and three 2gb hard drives. It served my website, handled
my email, acted as a NAT'ing firewall for my network and a samba server for
several years. In the end I got the money to upgrade it and put a 400Mhz
Celeron in it. The 266 is now sitting in a box that used to be a video player
underneath my desk in the bedroom and plays mp3's across my network into my
stereo. Moral of the story? Never underestimate old hardware!! :D

In both cases the 266 ran Debian of some description, usually with a custom
built kernel. I would suggest you try the ALSA drivers before you ditch that
ISA soundcard. I had an ALS100+ thing in the mp3 player at one time that I'm
not sure I'd even be able to find windows drivers for that ALSA supported
easily. It's worth a check.

Regards,

Matt

--