[Wolves] Promoting Linux

s parkes wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 13 15:01:07 2003

>From: "Matthew Warwick" <aozc15@dsl.pipex.com>
>To: <wolves@mailman.lug.org.uk>
>Subject: RE: [Wolves] Promoting Linux
>Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:55:07 +0100
>

> >If you have put a new HDD in then you need to FDisk it, and format,
>before you put
> >Windows on.  Installing any of the Linux distros I've tried, you have
>an auto partition
> >option, which then formats them.  I found it especialy easy on Mandrake
>and Red Hat
> >(Havn't tried Suse, so I can't comment directly, but I've heard that it
>is just as easy), >even Debian was straight foward.
>
>Not true at all, XP and 2000 boot right from the CD, and will do
>partitioning and formatting for you through the installer. And you don't
>need to bother fiddlign with things like mount points, which totally
>threw me the first time I installed. At least the newer installers hide
>that from most users, unless you actually want to specify them yourself.

so did NT4, win98 and Me.

although most of them died when encountering a large unpartitioned disc.
Even a little 2gig job will cause NT4 server to have an little episode.  So
much for the enterprise.

I might dig out an old slackware so you can see how linux installers used to
be, when you didn't get any help at all ;-)  of course someone will reply to
this I used linux 0.2 and we didn't have any installers back then ;-)

sparkes

Worried what your kids see online? Protect them better with MSN 8
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=186&DI=1059