[Wolves] Promoting Linux

Si Griffiths wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 13 22:31:14 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 7:21 pm, AlexG wrote:
> Setting up a
> network with Linux at an innercity school, from donated/discarded PC's
> would get Linux the kind of publicity you want. Free hardware and No
> licencing worries!

very much the sort of thing we'd like to do in the future me thinks & lik=
e=20
someone was saying (was it Jono? or Matt?) once all them kids get bitten =
&=20
start developing stuff for linux then the whole thing'll be raised to ano=
ther=20
level

> Also the MS Schools licence is beeing examined by the Office of Fair
> Trading. A you need a windows licence for every machine (even if it is =
not
> running windows, yes you need a windows licence for the Mac in the head=
> office, yes it has OS X on).

Beginning to sound like the fuckin TV license, give em a few years an the=
y'll=20
have Microsoft detector vans patrolling down your road, then they'll be=20
running billboard campaigns with the likes of 'Mr Sparkes of 84 Blah Blah=
=20
Road has persistently failed to purchase a Microsoft license despite the =
fact=20
that he owns two computers' & before you know it they'll have the likes o=
f us=20
up in court incredulous at the suggestion that we can use our computers f=
or=20
purposes, and with means, other than those deemed suitable by Microsoft .=
 . .

=2E . . where will it end???