[Wolves] Promoting Linux (in schools)

Chris Procter wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 14 11:16:01 2003

I'm not sure of the form for cross posting someone elses post between =
LUGs
but here goes :-)

There is a small discussion about Linux in schools going on on the =
Coventry
Lug mailing list (brought on by a school disposing of pentiumII =
machines
because they wouldn't run Windows 2000)

Bernard Giltrap said:-
<quote>
<rant>

This is where "parent power" might help. It is not necessary to mention
Linux but some questions?
=09
Is your school lacking in resources, Can recruit necessary teachers
etc.?

It might be worth mentioning to other parents that the school could =
save
=A3=A3=A3 by making better choices over IT.

In regard the School itself , speak to the head and point them to

http://www.ictadvice.org.uk/index.php?section=3Dte&cat=3D00a&rid=3D1858

or better yet print it out.

I'm sure there are enough experts here that would be willing to help
schools get familiar with linux, failing that invite them to the next
big meeting.

The final points:=20
1.It is that its tax payers money being used - As a business and
individual I'm not particularly happy when the public sector pays for
stuff that can be done for cheaper & better!
2. All schools and colleges should have at least one member of staff
that is fully competent in IT i.e keeps up to date and aware of Linux
and Mac OS-X for that matter.

</rant>
</quote>

Seems to me a good place to start in advocacy, espeacially the bit =
about
"Parent Power" it gives you a way into see the head/decision makers and =
an
obvious grievance about wasted money in the school. So get breeding, =
the
Linux Revolution demands it!! ;-)

Maybe also an opportunity for a bit of cross lug co-operation...

chris