[Wolves] Re: [Wolves]

Jono Bacon wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu May 15 17:17:01 2003

--- fizzy <fizzyorguk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have gone through my research, and i was a little
> confused :) They stuck 8 redhat 6.2 boxes on the
> internet under different ISPs.  The first was found,
> checked, and exploited within 15 minutes.  They were
> all owned within 72 hours.  the research was carried
> out by the honeynet project
> http://project.honeynet.org/

Interesting research, but not applicable. That reearch
project was setup to analyse the security issues of
the boxes within that context - an ISP. The context of
some guy plugging his home machine into the net is a
different issue.

As an example...I was running off Blueyonder for a
year and a half without a firewall protecting me and I
was not hacked once, because I was low target. I am
not denying that the risk is out there (my smoothwall
logs show the risk :/ ), but I don't think the urgency
is as great.

Now, if I worked for AOL and it meant plugging
something in, then the firewall would be a prime
concern...particularly if fizzy is expressing interest
at 0wn1ng it. ;)

  Jono

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Web Developer - Musician - Writer - Freelancer