[Wolves] Loograaaahdeo

Matthew Revell wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu May 15 17:34:01 2003

Naysayers beware, for ye shall be smote with all the force of a gang of
beardy men who have found purpose.

I think that we can say that at last night's meeting, it was pretty much
decided that Lugradio is something we'd like to do. First, tho', a word
to those who think:

a) it's pointless
b) it's too frivolous
c) we're too apathetic
d) INSERT REASON FOR DISLIKING IDEA HERE.

Just shut your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. I think that the
enthusiasm shown last night would suggest that this really is gonna
happen, so if you're not into it, well, that's cool but let us have our
fun :)

We seemed to pretty much agree that a twenty to thirty minute pilot
programme would enable us to give it a go. The programme would be mostly
recorded as live (i.e. you do it as tho' it's going out live but it's
recorded), with pre-recorded features inserted during the edit.

Music was pretty much ruled out straight away, apart, of course, from
some jingles which, by the sounds of it, Aq will be providing
inspiration for and Jono will be metalising. If someone write a song
about Linux then, more than likely, it'll be shit. However, if someone
writes a song about Linus and the lyrics and "Hurdy gurdy, flurdy, bork
bork bork. Hurdy gurdy, Stallman you fat nerdy, I've got a kernel and
the Hurdy ain't worth a turdy", well, that of course would make it into
the show. That's because our next agreement was that we should be fairly
light hearted.

I reckon the last thing most people, even we Linux fans, wanna listen to
is some guy talking about recompiling his kernel. Running a webserver
off an XBox, although, perverse, may make a good feature. The difference
is: one is mundane, everyone does it or can do it ... the other is out
of the ordinary and might capture someone's attention for a few mins.

So, the general mix that we came up with was:

Satirical items - e.g. something about the SCO madness
Sketches - Richard and Linus (a cross between Morecambe and Wise and
Terry and June, with occassionally visits by a French Bill Gates)
News features - Xbox webserver type stuff
Any other stuff.

It's pretty open :)

We've got to aim it at people like us: people that like Linux but have
more in their lives.

So, I propose that anyone who wants to get some ideas together starts
chatting about them in here and then next Wednesday, we have a Lugradio
get together where we can chat over ideas and start forming some
material for the first show!

Hooray!

Matt.

PS Sorry Si for correcting your English on my way out last night. All I
can say in my defence is that, sometimes, I'm a twat.