[Wolves] Cheap kit

Chris Procter wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 23 12:34:00 2003

I bought one of EuuroPCs =A3269 machines, the service is decent enough =
but the
machine itself isn't great (my work bought a server from there and its =
fine
so this is probably a case of getting what you pay for more then an
intrinsic europc problem).

It took about 10 days to arrive (they had to build it apparently) and =
all
seemed well but when I installed Slackware 9.0 I found the on-board =
graphics
card isn't supported by X and I couldn't get the on board sound to work =
with
Win2000 (although I had a spare card kicking aound so I installed that
rather then bother messing around to much).

I also know of somebody who had problems with the on-board modem (under
windows, my boss spent a day trying to fix it, in the end he resorted =
to a
pci card and that fixed the problems).

I haven't tried the on board networking yet but given the above I =
wouldn't
expect too much.=20

It makes a fine machine for messing around with windows 2000 doing my =
MCSE
homework (its paid for by work, what can I say), but if you are looking =
for
a production machine for work or whatever I would look elsewhere.

chris.