[Wolves] Wiki

Matthew Revell wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 28 11:06:00 2003

Howdy Jono,

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 10:48, Jono Bacon wrote:

> I think if you want to create an authorotive document,
> a Wiki is a bad idea. Remember hat *anyone* can edit
> it and hence remove edits and delete it. You can
> always reinstall from a backup, but that can be a
> pain.

Yeah but to me that's just part of the ideology of wikis. I reckon that
because they offer a quick and easy way of creating inter-related
hypertext documents, they can be useful for creating and maintaining a
top-down published document. If they make it easy for lots of people to
create a document, they make it easy for one or a select few to create a
document.

> Some Wiki's have functionality to limit who can make
> edits, but then that kinda ruins the whole idea I
> think.

Yeah but that's just one application of a wiki. I may, one day, have a
use for that sort of wiki. I don't see why, tho', I should limit my use
of a piece of software because it doesn't fit the political aims of the
people behind it.

> Just some comments. :)

Yeah, I think it's a really interesting thing to look at. I'll happily
buy into the politics of open source because it's central to its success
and I happen to believe in it. The politics of wiki aren't so important
on a world scale, tho' and so long as I don't break any licences, why
should I limit myself because of someone else's free love views on
editorial control? :-)

Matt.