[Wolves] Wiki

Matthew Revell wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 28 12:35:00 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 12:27, fizzy wrote:
> > Fair enough, that's a good point but still leaves
> > you with ugly "Edit"
> > buttons. Anyway, I don't think that this is an
> > argument I'm likely to
> > win. I do think, tho', it's important to see beyond
> > the politics of
> > software, from time to time.
>
> As far as i can gather, a wiki is a piece of software
> that creates pages that other people can then edit, i
> think I've seen one used for an FAQ, correct me if I'm
> wrong.

Yeah, that's my understanding as well.

> You want to use this software for another purpose,
> creating a style guide or whatever.

Or a FAQ or whatever ... it's just that I want control over the content.

> Therefore you cannot complain about a lack of support
> for political reasons, because you are using it in a
> non standard way.

I'm not complaining at lack of support: there are systems that do what I
want to do. What I'm complaining about is the attitude that seems to
surround some software projects. Wikis just happen to be what I'm
looking at at the moment. The attitude is that although a feature may be
useful, if it doesn't fit with a particular ideology, it'll be
purposefully left out.

> Utilise the GNU agreement and create your own piece of
> software to do what you want with a wiki as a base.

Yeah, that's something I could do and I may have a try. But my point
isn't so much that the feature doesn't exist but rather that it's a bit
naff that a feature can be stifled for political reasons.

> disclaimer - it made sense in my head!

:) So did my reply.