[Wolves] short meet report

fizzy wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu May 29 10:47:00 2003

I like getting meet reports, so i thought i'd write
one, then maybe other people will start writing them,
and that would be a good thing.

28/5/03

On a warm, summery evening, 14 linux users decided to
meet and chat rubbish, and this is a short report of
that meeting.

Chance would have it that tonights meeting would fall
upon the same evening as the Wolverhampton Wanderers
were bringing the cup back to Wolverhampton. This
meant that the pub was packed and much conversation
time was lost due to queueing at the bar.

Those who fought through the crowds were, myself
(fizz), Ron, Aq, Jono, Chris (savvy), Re-load, Jayne,
Adam, Rob, Lee, James, Matt R, Dan and Peter. I
probably forgot someone, sorry!
Regulars who were missing in action, presumed dead
were sparkes and Simon.

The evening started off in a traditional fashion, Jono
and Aq had an argument.  The debate started with a
discussion of tables vs divs, but spewed, as most LUG
discussions do, into general ranting and abuse.  Aq
came out of the discussion claiming victory, and Jono
promised that if his Ludo Log got slashdotted, he
would convert the site to divs.

The discussion moved onto the ever optimistic Peter
telling us that lug radio would never happen, and if
it did, no one would listen.  Which was met with jeers
from Matt who promised it would happen.  Only time
will tell...

Matrix 2 was disected by the LUG, personally i feel it
is just an average action flick as aposed to the
cinematic genius of matrix, most people haven't seen
it yet however. All however agreed that trinitys use
of an exploit was pretty cool.

For the remainder of the evening, the LUG broke into
political converstaion.  Mainly trying to classify
peoples political viewpoints and discussion of
alternatives to the main political parties
(www.noneoftheaboveuk.org - i could really do with
someone who can draw pretty pictures and make stuff
look nice to help, and i know, i spelt believe wrong
:) ).

The lug broke up when football chanting was drowning
out conversation, and did not continue with curry.
Another massive attendance, so much so that i found
myself unable to speak to many present.

Finally on the way home a discussion of why i should
put linux on my laptop (it's 2k only at the moment.)
Aq sumised this as:

* rox
* the bash shell
* political reasons

I'm still yet to be convinced, but i will look forward
to discussing this on the mailing list.

Next meet in two weeks, perhaps the largest non London
LUG ever if we get full attendance and some uni go'ers return.