[Wolves] eth keep alive

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 17:03:24 BST 2003

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 4:25 pm, Aquarius wrote:
> Ron Wellsted spoo'd forth:
> > Or use the line:
> > "* * * * * /bin/ping -c 1 serveronlan 2>&1 >/dev/null"
> > in root's crontab.  This will ping once every minute.
>
> Why not ping -i 60 serveronlan?
>
> Aq.

'cos cron will start doing it automagically (in the background) whenever the
system is started and it will not put anthing on the screen.  Of course if
you want screen output...

Another way would be to shorten the DHCP lease time to say 600 seconds, this
would (should) trigger a renewal ever 5 mins.

However, looking at Lee's original post makes me think there is another
problem, as this is not normal.  If the interface is going away on a Linux
box and a windows box, this suggests a problem in a common area such as hub,
cable to smoothie or green NIC in smoothie (unless both NICs are failing in a
similar way)

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk