[Wolves] To the god of kde

Jono Bacon jonobacon at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 16:45:47 GMT 2003

Hello,

I hope I am not "the god of KDE"!! ;) Sorry for the
delay in response as I have been preparing for a
festival that we played on Sunday. I now ache like a
bastard!!

The problem is to do with dodgy KDE debs that are
doing the rounds. Don't use the crap off kde.org, and
simply use the KDE debs in Unstable. Stick an unstable
mirror in your sources.list and do the following:

  apt-get update
  apt-get install kdebase -t unstable

This will download the files and install them. Before
you do this though, remove .kde from your home dir and
any files that start with .MCOP, .DCOP or .ICE.

> maybe apt didn't set an LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your
> .bash_profile, I'm just
> guessing, as I haven't set kde up using apt ......
> I'll digout my
> .bash_profile.

You don't need to set this for the debs. You only need
this to tell the linker where to find the libraries
when compiing KDE; the debs in Debian are
pre-compiled.

Hope this helps.

  Jono

> yo Lugmaster *poke*
>
> Lee Jordan
> Web Apps Developer
> http://www.leejordan.org.uk
>

> >From: Helen Rose <pinkteapot98 at yahoo.co.uk>
> >To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group
> <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
> >Subject: Re: [Wolves] To the god of kde
> >Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:31:04 +0100 (BST)
> >
> >Hey, its working slightly better now, i can get kde
> >3.1.4 to load up, but only as far as the splash
> screen
> >and it goes through initialising everything but
> then
> >the panel never apears and you get a grey back
> ground,
> >no icons no nothing just the pointer which works
> ok.
> >When i use apt to try and get the rest of the kde
> >packages it bitches about dependencies saying that
> >xxxxxx package is required but wont be installed
> and
> >errors on broken packages.....
> >I have gone through and tried to install the
> packages
> >that it is moaning about but they either wont
> install
> >because there dependences are unmet also, or if
> they
> >will download, apt wants to remove most of the
> other
> >packages to do with kde before it will install. I
> >guess this suggests that there could be a confilct
> >between the different versions of kde libraries? Im
> >really just guessing.
> >Any more ideas?
> >pink
> >

> >--- bambam at opendildonics.org wrote: > Is this fixed
> >now? (I played with it earlier).
> > >
> > > Yeah - you picked a broken spanish mirror, and
> > > dave's broken
> > > kde debian mirror.
> > >
> > > Should be fixed now.
> > >
> > > bambam
> > > --
> > > Cannot access memory at address 0x41414141

> all
> wrestling
> > > with
> > > with
> long
> > > for
> > > managed
> distribution,
> > > but
> > > debain.org
> 3.1.4
> > > and
> it
> > > just
> > > when i
> was in

=====
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Professional Writer / Web Developer / Musician