[Wolves] soundcard

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 21:10:19 GMT 2003

Various snips...

 --- Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote: > On
Thursday 30 October 2003 8:46 pm, Wayne Morris
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 17:45, Rachael Baylis wrote:
> > > I'm trying to get my soundcard working with the
> Red Hat 8.0. The
> > > soundcard is
> > > onboard, and the computer is detecting it as a
> PCI card
> > > Model: VIA Technologies | VT8233 AC97 Audio
> Controller
> > > It won't play the test sound, or, indeed,
> anything, and when I try to
> > > configure it
> > > manually using sndconfig I get an error message:

> > From what I remember a AC97 computer I had would
> not work in RH8 , but
> > worked straight away with RH9 (I was particulary
> interested in why - I
> > was using it as a webserver.)
> >
> > HTH

> I have this and it works fine with SuSE 8.2/9.0
> which uses alsa, (which maybe
> why RH9 works OK).

I have this card too and couldn't get it to work with
any distros that I tried, Mandrake 9.1, Debian Woody
and Knoppix, all produced the insmod error you gave.
Installed Mandrake 9.2 today and it works fine with
the odd fizzing noise ;)

To be honest don't know why. Would building your own
kernel help given that they are module errors? That
might be a complete red herring though.

Sorry,

Ad

=====