[Wolves] activists linux...

Lee Jordan wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 14 21:29:05 2003

*standing up to be counted into the not going list*

Very interesting discussion though. About capitalisim and all, people are
waking up to the dangers, people are becoming aware of the powers in the
world, which doesn't mean that the world will suddenly change or get better,
but then some protests and efforts to excercise freedom of speech get
negative press or no press at all. Every little helps as they say ..........
don't tell Tesco I said that, I can't afford that kind of thing). In terms
of Linux then advocacy and demonstration is key. I agree with Jono in terms
of we can't go shouting from the rooftops that Linux is better and M$ are,
well what they are. Think of the people on the streets who shout "freedom
for Palistine" when they are a lone figure, not part of an organisation or
anti war movement, do they get taken seriously? Way back in the day we did a
Demo Day round Birmingham city center on the launch of some Win/OS, some
people got what we were talking about, others just took the SuSE CD :)

Good book to read, I wouldn't mind getting a copy myself .... "Everything
you know is wrong".

Ideal world: We have enough skills in the LUG to edit and produce an
information pack that we could tout around local schools and and buisnesses
or nationaly through PDF downloads on a website posters etc etc. Joe Public
will be unwilling to make the switch because they get their software for
free or at low cost through piracy so therefore we should be targeting
smaller to medium sized companies, schools and charites. The only thing
would be cost of production and the effort made dispite LUG apathy and
getting major companies involved. If we could somehow get the backing of
local MP's that would be a start. Team up with the Uni ..... argh! Use the
Internet to gain community exposure and local news for press coverage and we
have the seeds of our tiny contribution. I know many network or IT support
staff in education situations know what Linux is and know all about windows
being so leaky but their job is to look after NT servers and machines, like
many of us we are enslaved to Windows at work. The likes of Dixons just
won't listen, just as Starbucks might not push fair trade coffee unless
people stopped going into thier coffee houses. Our way of thinking is
sometimes on the verge of being quashed or ignored ...... example world wide
protests on one single day against war on Iraq, Mayday and WTO protests, I
do though condem to hell the actions of the people intent on fighting
violent idealogies and practices with further non-needed violence.

What ever we do, has to be low maintinance, because it's our free time at
the end of the day, but it can't be a few of us doing it, everyone has
something to offer .......

I can't go to this thing anywho, we are having TW Broadband fitted.