[Wolves] Floppy discs

Old Dan wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 15 15:49:00 2003

Aquarius wrote:
> Old Dan spoo'd forth:
>>>Oo! http://supermount-ng.sourceforge.net/
>>>OTOH, it's a bleedin' kernel patch, and that machine isn't running a
>>>custom kernel; it's running a stock distro kernel installed through
>>>apt. Damn. I hate compiling kernels.
>>
>>As long as you're running kernel 2.4.19, 2.4.20 or 2.4.21, ...
>>Apt installing kernel-patch-2.4-supermount-ng should do you quite
>>nicely, methinks...
>
> Yeah, but I still have to compile the kernel, and I really don't wanna.
> One of the main reasons is that I don't know how to say "configure this
> newly downloaded kernel source with the options that my currently
> running kernel has", so that downloading a new kernel, compiling it,
> and running it, will change nothing at all.

But don't the kernel-headers packages contain the config files for the
precompiled kernels?

::looks::

Yes, yes they do - they have the .config - so - yuck - yeah, what you'd
have to do is download the kernel source for the generic kernel version
you have, download the headers package for the specific stock kernel you
have, copy across the .config file, download and run the patch,
configure the specific supermount option, compile, rinse and repeat...

Yuck.  It'd work, though, and by the looks of it it'd be worth it.

Or maybe I'm just a masochist.  ;)

--
Dan